The skin of newborns, infants and young children needs special care, as it is not fully mature and has not developed completely its defence mechanisms. It differs from the skin of adults in terms of structure and function, developing and acquiring similar traits only after the age of 2-3 years old.
Features of a children's skin:
- The epidermis of a small child is thinner and more tender than that of an adult, and, as a result, it is extremely sensitive and prone to dryness and irritation.
- The skin is fairer and less elastic, and produces less melanin, which makes it more susceptible to UV radiation.
- The skin of young children is characterized by a lower number of sweat glands and their weaker functioning, which results in greater sensibility to overheating and cooling.
- The functions of the protective barrier of the skin are not fully developed yet. The skin of the youngest children exhibits greater permeability and transdermal water loss. At the same time absorption of any substances which may come into contact with its surface is increased. The ratio of the skin surface to the weight of a child's body is three to five times greater than that of an adult, which means that the internal concentration of substances that have come into contact with a child's body is much higher.
ziaja baby for children from the first day of life
General rules of skin care for newborns, infants and young children:
- gentle cleansing of the skin
- proper moisturising
- reducing chafing
- preventing nappy rash, especially within the buttocks area
- avoiding excessive exposure to humidity, wind and ultraviolet radiation
Clinically tested, safe and effective, Ziajka products have been developed on the basis of considerable experience in creating cosmetics for children and infants. The products have been created in cooperation with specialists in the field of paediatrics, dermatology, allergology and dentistry Wide range of products addresses all essential care and protection needs of the skin of the youngest children.
In addition to pram, clothes, hygiene products and many other accessories for nursing and feeding, other must-haves include baby care products appropriate for newborns from the first day of life. Do not forget about:
- skin care cream for children and infants
Cream for daily care at any time of the day. Universal product which can be applied to the face, body and little hands from the first day of life. The cream perfectly moisturises, protects the skin against water loss and gently nourishes it.
- baby diaper rash ointment
It prevents nappy rash, especially in the nappy area, provide a long-lasting barrier against moisture, reduce chafing and redness.
- baby care oil
A gentle product for essential after bath care which effectively strengthens the protective barrier of the epidermis, soothes irritated skin and nourishes it.
- nourishes bath gel
Gently cleanses and cares for the skin. Effectively prevents dryness of the skin and does not cause irritation.
- During the first months of a child's life, everyday baths are not necessary. Washing the baby too frequently (more than once a day) can significantly dry the delicate skin.
- It is not recommended to use sponges and washcloths for cleaning for hygiene reasons.
- The water temperature for the bath should not be too high, preferably around 35-37°C.
- Use products appropriate for the skin care of infants and young children in order to avoid excessive dryness, which consequently can damage the epidermal barrier, causing irritation and even allergic reactions.
- We recommend avoiding factors that can increase sweating and irritate baby's skin, including synthetic, non-airy and tight clothes, as well as woollen fabrics which irritate the skin and cause scratchy sensations.
did you know?
– Cradle cap – contrary to popular beliefs, is not a medical problem, but an aesthetic one. It is a very common condition for infants and usually appears on the scalp by the third month of life and is not itchy. It is a result of overproduction of sebum caused by the dryness of the skin, which, in combination with exfoliated epidermis, forms oily scales. The most common causes include the presence of the mother's hormones in the child's body or yeast fungi. For daily prevention, combined with a gentle removal of the scales, it is recommended to use delicate products for special purposes, such as Ziaja baby creamy bath oil for cradle cap. For the removal of the already existing scales, it is good to additionally use a care oil for children and infants.
– First tooth – it is good to start oral care as early as possible, from the first tooth. It will help the child develop good hygiene habits and will also support prevention. A broad range of special brushes and teeth washing products designed for children is also very helpful. Due to the risk of swallowing the toothpaste, it is best that the youngest children use products without fluorine, which can be replaced, for example, by xylitol. It is a natural sugar substitute, exhibiting anticaries activity (bacteriostatic against caries bacteria). Xylitol also helps remineralize the enamel.
– Sun protection – it is important to remember about it before every walk on a sunny day, regardless of the season. Children's skin is extremely sensitive and lacks its natural sun protection. It easily gets sunburnt and is prone to photoallergic reactions, even after a short time in the sun. For this reason, before every walk on a sunny day, remember to apply a product with an appropriate UV filter, approximately 15 minutes before leaving the house.